Essential Career Skills 101
Course Description: This course will acquaint students with the college and its services, prepare students for success in all college courses, help students begin to explore career options as well as prep them for their first job interview. Students will:
- Understand motivations, personality types, cultural and personal learning styles
- Learn about multiple intelligences, acknowledge skills, abilities and life purpose
- Identify desired lifestyle and personal goals
- Chart career pathway and route to achieving goals
- Explore virtual team building and collaboration
- Cultivate presentation and interview skills
- Improve critical and creative thinking abilities and be able visualize concepts
- Write a resume explore interview techniques
We can also discuss coping mechanisms in this pandemic era; tips and resources on how to manage anxiety in high-stress situations; relaxation techniques, and develop a positive image of themselves as effective learners and leaders. We can also explore engagement in service-learning or other independent projects if time permits.
Student Learner Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Understand and articulate personal motivations and leadership style
- Demonstrate mastery of a wide range of learning strategies such as motivation, time management, presentation/ communication skills, teamwork and critical and creative thinking abilities
- Demonstrate use of discipline, self-control, relaxation techniques
- Write a cover letter, resume/bio and participate in a job interview role-play or a pre-recorded video
- Design and create a group presentation for the class
Power of Perspective
The Power of Perspective is predicated on interdisciplinary theories backed by empirical evidence, theoretical models, local case studies and personal experience that prove that changing our outlook can lead to a greater sense of agency, empowerment and positive outcomes. Drawing from the McKinsey Leadership Project, award-winning creative, best-selling author and leadership consultant, Dr Loretta Chen will share her work on Authentic Leadership with an emphasis on the 3Ps – Personal Reflection, Positionality and Perspective.
This video will provide you with a brief introduction to the Career Coach software. Career Coach is one of two main learning portals we explore to help individuals assess themselves and find careers that match their strengths.
A quick video overview of Career Coach, a guided career exploration tool powered by the Emsi company.